In response to recent weather warnings which are predicted to reach all areas this week, our Care and Repair team are proactively contacting our elderly clients to ensure that they are safe, warm and well during this current cold spell. If you know of any older people who you feel may be alone, vulnerable or in need during these extreme cold conditions, please call or visit them so that they have peace of mind and know they are not alone.
An Garda Síochána and the Defence Forces in conjunction with the Carlow Older Persons Forum have linked in with our Care and Repair team to offer emergency services to those who may live in very isolated areas or find themselves in need of emergency assistance. If you or someone you know requires emergency assistance through the above services please contact –
Bagenalstown Garda Station: 059-9774120
Carlow Garda Station: 059-9136620
Tullow Garda Station: 059-9151222
Advice for older people and those with elderly relatives or neighbours
- Eat and drink warm food and beverages frequently
- Wear warm layers
- Ensure you have sufficient supplies of food, fuel and medicine
- Keep your home warm and avoid unnecessary trips outside
- If you do have to go outside, wear shoes with a good grip and a scarf around your mouth to reduce the risk of a chest infection
- Ask a relative or neighbour for help if you require it and stay in touch by phone
Should you wish to contact our Care and Repair service, please phone 059-9720733 for further advice.